I chose to write about gratitude and being thankful in the spirit of American Thanksgiving Day but also because the year 2020 has been quite interesting and it’s coming to an end in a few
My former opening line.
It wasn’t ready by the last Thursday in November so it has been converted to an end of the year Thanksgiving post. 😁. In no particular order or hierarchy of importance, here are 20 things I’m thankful for in 2020:
1. God – I’m thankful for my relationship with God. He has been a Father who chastises but draws me closer than before. He’s been The Rock throughout this year.
2. Family – Lol. I don’t think I’ve spent so much time with my family in recent years like I did during the lockdown. We actually did get closer, start a few things together and learn from each other.
3. The Lockdown – I never in my whole entire life (you get the picture) imagined that the world would shut down and be on hold for weeks. I never imagined a pandemic would happen. The word ‘pandemic’ was just one of those words not in my active vocabulary. Lol, now there’s pandemic, isolation, lockdown, masks and quarantine. 2020 has gone down in the books of history. It has been a year. I’m thinking of general knowledge questions that can be set from the events in this year and students are in for a treat.
4. The gift of writing – Being able to pour out my thoughts. Shoutout to Google Keep, the holder of my drafts, keeper of my thoughts. Writing is therapeutic, yunno.
5. Shugarythoughts – This year the vision got clearer. I’m thankful for my blog and to you my faithful readers. I look at my stats on some days and can’t believe the magic that happens.
6. Friends – I try not to loosely throw the words friends around. I’m thankful for my circle. I might not check in regularly (I’m sorry) but know that I have your back always. We should do better in 2021.
7. My Debtors – Awon oni gbese*.. I’m thankful to y’all for teaching me major financial lessons. Do you know how they say some things you never learn until you experience it? Yeah. thank you, guys. (still pay up though). And note to you reading this, in 2021 you are not anyone’s messiah. You do not have to give everyone that asks you for money. You can say no!!
8. My brain – This year more than ever I discovered how easy it was for me to learn and pick up skills.
9. I’m thankful for Chicken Republic’s refuel max. I think I ate that this year more than before.
10. I’m thankful for some of my clothes that didn’t fit at some point during the lockdown but are back to my size. #CelebrateYourWins
11. Peace – You know when God said He gives peace not like the world gives? Yeah. He knew what He was talking about. I’m thankful for peace that fills me heart when there’s so much uncertainty around.
12. Places I worked at this year – I happened to work at 2 places this year and the lessons I learnt and people met I won’t trade for anything.
13. Church family – The writer of Hebrews mentioned not forsaking the brethren, e get why. COVID-19 has made church different in some ways. Be intentional about checking in and keeping up with your church family.
14. Music – If some certain musicians feel pains in their hands or mouths any where they are, I just might be responsible for that. I have played and replayed so many songs, updated my library and I’m thankful for streaming platforms that work and algorithms that keep the cool suggestions coming.
16. The Nigerian government. I’m thankful that they showed their true colors more than ever this year. It was a reminder to go back to the history books and know that there’s nothing new under the sun. I read some part of Max Siollun’s Soldiers of Fortune (1983 – 1993) and the playbook remains the same.
17. My birthday this year was the best yet. Lol and to think I was working seriously for most of the day but I did enjoy it. I had my first ‘anon’ surprise. #JanuaryBirthdays
18. I am thankful that my phone and laptop did not give up on me this year.
19. Special shout out to the Holy Spirit this year. He kept me sane through it all.
20. I am thankful for You! You made it down here, lol even if you scrolled fast. Thank you for coming to my blog this year.
Writing a gratitude list this long is one of the hardest things I’ve done this month. Maybe it was harder because it was more general than specific. I challenge you to list out 20 things you are grateful for this year. Since you aren’t sharing it with me, you can be more specific to get you to twenty faster. 😉😉
Please wear your mask and maintain social distancing. Wash your hands regularly and keep safe.
*Awon oni gbese – debtors
6 thoughts on “2020 Gratitude List: 20 Things I’m Thankful For”
I’m glad you enjoyed 2020 birthday. Nice write up girl. It gives me so much joy to read your 2020 list of 20
great Stuff Sarah!
thank you for the inspiration!
Really? Debtors… that got me, lol.
The lock down was really helpful for me too.
I’m grateful for Life, good health, food on my table, family, friends, peace, growth, lessons, blessing, joy, birth of Jesus, eternal life, wisdom, love, success… I’m grateful to God for everything really…
Thanks you so much for this beautiful piece. Though the year was tough, there’s a lot to be grateful for.
Debtors oo…lol..I’ve learnt my lesson.
Yeah..there’s a lot to be grateful for. 💖💖
Pingback: #SaturdayThoughts: New Year, Twenty Fine and Wish lists – ShugaryThoughts